Ironman Busselton is only 3 sleeps away so we thought who best to give race day tips than former Ironman World Champion & 3 x 70.3 Busselton Champion Pete Jacobs – also lining up for Ironman Busselton this year!
Also enjoy our Busselton tips on tasty Eats pre and post race, plus Busseltons top 3 wineriesJ
PETE’S TOP 3 TIPS FOR RACE DAY
1. DO WHAT YOU HAVE DONE IN TRAINING
Meaning don’t go too hard too early on in your race. Consume the amount of nutrition and hydration that you have been practicing with in training , don’t consume more nutrition and liquids more than what you are used to as it won’t bode well!
2. FOCUS ON BEING AS EFFICIENT AS POSSIBLE THROUGH GOOD TECHNIQUE –this will help you get to the finishing line faster whilst taking the focus from any pain
3. WALK THE AID STATIONS TO RESET YOURSELF IF TENSION, HEART RATE OR TECHINIQUE IS GOING DOWN HILL – Reset yourself mentally and physically at the end of the aid station, envisaging that they are the first steps of the day
BEST LOCAL EATS
- RICE PAPER Market & Butcher -63 Duchess Street, Busselton
A trendy butcher with Grass Fed, Organic Meats + a cute café serving streetfood style food for breakfast and lunch 7.30am – 4pm during race week. *We order the duck livers, lamb chops, and lamb leg + papaya saladJ
- The URBAN COFFEEHOUSE – 2/19 Bussel Hwy Busselton
Serves breakfast & lunch. Tasty food with atmosphere – sit outside and people watch;)
- GOOSE CAFÉ – 1 Scout Road Busselton
This Café is right on the swim course smack bang on the pier. Great Coffee and dolphin watching post swimming the swim course
WHERE TO BUY GROCERIES IF YOU HAVE COOKING FACILITIES!
- THE RICE PAPER BUTCHER – see above
For all Organic Grass Fed Meat choices
- GAIASONG NATURAL HEALTH (Health Food Store) – 14/55 Prince Street, Busselton. Need Raw Cacao Powder, Quality Butter, Nuts, Honey, Coconut Oil, Herbal Teas? Head to this health food store in Fig Tree Lane for some healthy living inspoJ
- IGA (Supa Progressive IGA)– 30 Kent Street, Busselton. Great for the everyday groceries, sourcing local produce where possible. We love the wild fish options all locally caught flathead, snapper etc
HOW TO FIND ZEN BEFORE RACE DAY AROUND TOWN?
- SWIM PART OF THE COURSE – Enjoy swimming part of the swim course along the pier with stingrays, jellyfish, starfish, dolphins and more haha. Enjoy a cup of coffee with the family at The Goose where dolphin watching & people watching passes the time
- FIND THE BOOKWORM IN YOU – Visit VIVA BOOKS 82 Queen Street Busselton to transcend to a literary escape, away from the Ironman madness. Purchase a large KEEP CUP for your warm beverages whilst wandering town on foot. A great place for Christmas shopping too!
- PLANT POWER – Leaf Love Plant Studio & Store 55 Queen Street Busselton is a trendy homewares store full of funky plants. Head next door to MONO………..
- MONO COFFEEHOUSE HOMEWARES & BOOKS – 3/55 Queen Street Busselton ticks all the boxes. Its funky soho vibe with 2nd hand books, airy space for coffee time and bespoke buys in jewellery, art work, leather bags, candles & more. No surprise if you have to double check yourself for thinking you’re in paddington/surry hills of sydney instead of the coastal town Busselton. Enjoy!
NEED LAST MINUTE RACE DAY HELP???
- FAT DUCK & ESPRESSO – 6 Prince Street, Busselton
Visit the bike shop for last minute bike tune ups and purchases
- IRONMAN EXPO – Situated just behind the pier.
THE LOCAL’S TOP PICKS FOR WINERIES & PRODUCERS
- CULLEN WINES – 4323 Caves Road, Wilyabrup
- RUSTICO at HAY SHED HILL – 511 Harmans Mill Road
- DEEP WOODS ESTATE HOWLING WOLVES OF RIVERENDELL – 889 Commonage Road, Yallingup
- VASSE VIRGIN (– 2 Rosa Road, Margaret River
- MARGET RIVER CHOCOLATE CO – Harmans Mill Road
- MARGARET RIVER NUTS & CEREALS – Harmans Mill Road, Metricup
Happy, Healthy and FIT – with Love
Your LYOF Team